Professor presents macroeconomic blog

first_imgEconomics professor David Ruccio discussed the current economic crisis through commentary on his blog “Occasional Links and Commentary on Economics, Culture and Society” Thursday evening in Geddes Hall. Russio said his blog considers local and global inequality through the presentation of data. He started his blog while on sabbatical in the summer of 2009 and previously wrote commentary on a personal website with little public exposure. Since then, his blog has grown to average up to 1,000 views daily and has had more than 300,000 views since its creation. The blog has led to many media appearances and his posts are frequently featured in the “Real World Economic Review” blog. “Occasional Links and Commentaries” focuses on American macroeconomics. Ruccio said research for the blog was challenging since his specialties in Marxian economics and development economics, did not cover macroeconomics. Ruccio said he thoroughly researches issues prior to writing a commentary. These investigations result in four-to-eight blog entries a day. “I don’t write about it unless I think I have something to say,” he said. Ruccio said the most satisfying part of his blog is to hear people have found the information useful. “Clearly, with 300,000 views, I reach a lot more people with this blog than I have through any book or article I have written, or any lecture I have given,” Ruccio said. In the future, Ruccio said he hopes to apply for funding to pursue his research further. He said he would use the funding add long-term assistants. The lecture was a continuation of the ongoing series sponsored by the Higgins Labor Studies Program.last_img read more

10 months agoPSG ready to beat Man Utd to Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld

first_imgPSG ready to beat Man Utd to Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireldby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the lovePSG are eyeing Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld.Despite Spurs recently taking up a 12-month option in the player’s contract, PSG remain keen on Alderweireld.The Belgium international’s deal carries a €28m buyout clause – which suits PSG.Alderweireld is also being linked with Manchester United this season.However, United’s transfer plans are in flux after the appointment of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to replace Jose Mourinho.The Telegraph says PSG could seek to immediately trigger Alderweireld’s clause this month. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

10 months agoKi-Jana Hoever becomes Liverpool’s youngest ever to play in FA Cup

first_imgKi-Jana Hoever becomes Liverpool’s youngest ever to play in FA Cupby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveKi-Jana Hoever has made his debut for Liverpool in tonight’s FA Cup tie with Wolves.The 16-year-old defender becomes Liverpool’s youngest ever player in the FA Cup after Dejan Lovren went down holding his hamstring within five minutes of the first half.The Dutchman has impressed at youth level for Liverpool and was recently promoted to train with the first team at Melwood by Jurgen Klopp.Hoever joined fellow teenage debutants Curtis Jones and Rafa Camacho in the team at Wolves.Klopp sang Hoever praises in his pre-match press conference, saying the youngster is “incredible”. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

a month agoChelsea defender Zouma: Keep an eye on Yoan at Bolton

first_imgChelsea defender Zouma: Keep an eye on Yoan at Boltonby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea defender Kurt Zouma is delighted seeing his kid brother making it at Bolton Wanderers.Yoan Zouma joined Bolton in August 2018 and was made to feel at home by his elder sibling, who was on loan in the North-West at Everton last season.”We lived 20 minutes away from each other so he used to be at my house every day, always having dinner together,” Kurt told chelseafc.com.”He played in the Under-23s last season and now he’s played a few games for the first team. He has done well. He’s the same kind of player as me: big, strong and quick. He deserves what happens to him.”He has been working hard in France, where he went through a lot. Now he is here, not far from me in England. We are always on the phone; I try to give him some advice. Hopefully he gets through into bigger leagues. He’s my little brother, I love him so much and I’m very happy for him. I hope he keeps going, keeps working hard and keeps pushing in the first team.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Small and Medium Stakeholders Key to Tourism’s Sustainability – Minister Bartlett

first_img He contended that achieving this requires SMTEs being fully leveraged to build sustainable economies in tourism-dependent nations. Story Highlights “Nowhere do we understand this more than here in Jamaica, as a member of the most tourism-dependent region in the world. Here, in the Caribbean, one in five workers is directly or indirectly employed by the sector, while more than 40 per cent of the gross domestic product (GDP) is directly related to tourism activities,” the Minister further noted. Tourism Minister, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says the interests of small and medium tourism enterprises (SMTEs) must be safeguarded to ensure the industry’s sustainability. Tourism Minister, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says the interests of small and medium tourism enterprises (SMTEs) must be safeguarded to ensure the industry’s sustainability.He contended that achieving this requires SMTEs being fully leveraged to build sustainable economies in tourism-dependent nations.“Nowhere do we understand this more than here in Jamaica, as a member of the most tourism-dependent region in the world. Here, in the Caribbean, one in five workers is directly or indirectly employed by the sector, while more than 40 per cent of the gross domestic product (GDP) is directly related to tourism activities,” the Minister further noted.He was speaking at the second United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Global Conference on Jobs and Inclusive Growth: Small and Medium Tourism Enterprises, at the Montego Bay Convention Centre, Rose Hall, St. James, on January 29.Mr. Bartlett said SMTEs’ economic survival is increasingly critical against the background of tourism being identified by the United Nations (UN) as key in spurring increased economic benefits to Small Island Developing States and Least Developed Countries by 2030.This, he added, within the context of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).Mr. Bartlett noted tourism’s far-reaching positive impact on other industries, citing that “it is one of the fastest growing and most resilient sectors in the world”.He indicated that the industry accounts for an estimated 10.4 per cent of the global gross domestic product (GDP), one in 10 of 313 million jobs worldwide, and seven per cent of international trade in goods and services, “thereby contributing to economic growth and development in many societies”.He described the six per cent growth in international tourist arrivals in 2018, totalling 1.4 billion persons, according to the UNWTO, as “excellent news”.“This remarkable growth is two years ahead of the UNWTO’s long-term forecast issued in 2010, which indicated the 1.4 billion mark would be reached in 2020. It is also clearly above the 3.7 per cent growth registered in the global economy,” the Minister added.Mr. Bartlett said tourism’s growth underscores the industry’s invaluable worth as a powerful driver of economic growth and development.He added that against this background, “we must now manage it in a sustainable way”, to ensure that communities, countries and citizens around the world benefit through jobs and wealth creation.“Tourism is valuable for development with linkages that run deep into the local economy and multiply the growth impact from trade. It is, therefore, incumbent on us to build a smart and sustainable framework to better integrate SMTEs into the tourism value chain,” the Minister emphasised.Mr. Bartlett said it is against this background that “we have put in motion a plan to create a window through which small and medium players in the sector could access affordable loans to invest and play their part in supporting the build-out of the sector”.“We wanted to widen the net of people benefitting from the industry in terms of ownership and employment. In this way, we are creating and realising sustainable growth,” the Minister added.last_img read more

Talks to manage offshore Arctic drilling may signal end of ban NWT

first_imgYELLOWKNIFE – The federal government is opening talks with northerners on managing offshore energy exploration in the Canadian Arctic, a move some hope signals a coming relaxation of the current ban on potential development.“I would hope that’s the case,” said Northwest Territories Premier Bob McLeod.“We’ll see as we negotiate. I certainly am feeling very optimistic.”Northern Affairs Minister Dominic Leblanc and Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi announced Thursday that Ottawa will negotiate a Beaufort Sea oil and gas co-management and revenue-sharing agreement with the governments of the Northwest Territories and Yukon, as well as the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation.In 2016, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced an indefinite moratorium on all offshore energy exploration in Canada’s Arctic, subject to a review every five years. He made the announcement in conjunction with then-U.S. president Barack Obama, who brought in similar measures.Since then, President Donald Trump has announced plans to open the American Arctic to drilling.Leblanc, who recently toured the northern capitals, emphasized the importance of resources to the territorial economies.“Our partners were very clear,” he said in a release.“They want to be involved in the management of Arctic offshore oil and gas resources, and they want to see economic prosperity and jobs that will benefit Indigenous peoples and all Northerners in the future without affecting the health of their environment.”Sohi said in a release that the government has been working with both the territories and the energy industry.“We heard loud and clear that the protection of the Arctic environment and the sustainable, inclusive development of the region for the benefit of Northern residents and all Canadians are critical to growing Canada’s economy.”McLeod said much will depend on the five-year review, due in 2021.“Unless we deal with the five-year review things don’t change that much. We’re hoping that after five years, they’ll get rid of (the moratorium).”He said his government will work toward an agreement similar to one reached by the Maritime provinces for their offshore.“The GNWT has been waiting for today’s announcement for some time and I appreciate that Minister LeBlanc has been able to make tangible progress,” he said in a release.Leblanc and Sohi also promised to involve northerners in a research program that takes into account marine and climate change science.After a flurry of interest in the early 2010s, interest in the Beaufort offshore died down. Imperial Oil, which still holds large exploration leases in those waters, cancelled its drilling program in 2015.As part of Thursday’s announcement, the government also said it would preserve existing offshore exploration rights for energy companies and refund remaining deposits related to those licences.There are 63 exploration and discovery licences in the Beaufort Sea. The financial consequences of that promise weren’t immediately clear.— By Bob Weber in Edmonton. Follow him on Twitter at @row1960last_img read more

Power supply cut keeps train on halt for two hours in Pandooah

first_imgKolkata: Train services were disrupted for almost two hours after pantograph of a local train broke at the Pandooah station in Eastern Railway.The train immediately came to halt due to break in the power supply. According to sources, on Wednesday, at 1:39 pm, a local train destined to Howrah left the Pandooah station around 1:39 pm. Just after the train left the platform, one of the pantographs broke. As a result the train immediately came to halt due to break in power supply. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaImmediately station master at the Pandooah station was informed. Later, the station master informed the engineering department for repair work to be commenced soon. Within half-an-hour a tower van from Bandel arrived at the spot and started repair work. But, as the work was time consuming, passengers of the train had to wait for long time to reach their destinations. As the down line was totally closed several more trains have been stopped at multiple stations, waiting for the repair work to be done. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayAround 3 pm the repair work was completed and nor mal traiun services resumed from 3:04 pm. According to the Eastern Railway’s spokesperson, train services on the Barddhaman Howrah main line section were affected as the front pantograph of Down Barddhaman Howrah local was broken at Pandooah station blocking both down main line and reversible line. As a result, five local trains including four Down locals ran a lot behind schedule.last_img read more

Fickell calls for Ohio State football to move forward

As fans and media throughout Columbus continue to dwell on Ohio State’s 24-6 loss in Miami on Saturday, Buckeyes’ coach Luke Fickell said he can’t and won’t. “We have a 17-hour rule. After 17 hours, it’s over with,” Fickell said. “Doesn’t mean we forget about what happened or we forget the feeling of what happened, but we move on.” With the team’s 17-hour period of reflecting on the loss over, Fickell said his team will only concern itself with present problems. “Somebody asked, ‘What do you think this team is going to be in three weeks?’ I worry about today,” he said. “I’ll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. “(One thing) the team can’t do is worry about what’s going to happen in three weeks, three months … that will eat you alive.” Junior defensive lineman John Simon, a captain for this Saturday’s game against Colorado, is eager to move forward with the season. He expects to learn a lot about his team after coming off its first loss of the young season. “We’re fired up. It’s an exciting week for us,” Simon said. “These are the weeks you kind of look forward to. You never want to lose, but you get to see what kind of team you have this week, seeing how we’re going to react and rebuild off this loss.” The other Buckeyes’ captain on Saturday will be junior fullback Zach Boren, who doesn’t plan to need rebuilding off of a loss again this season. “We’re going to go out and try and win every game,” Boren said. “No matter if it’s by one point or 50 points, we don’t care, we’re going to go out and win every game. That’s our mentality.” If the young Buckeyes can go on to win every game, Fickell said he believes it could leave Buckeye fans remembering the Miami loss as a mere bump in the road. “It’s ultimately where you end and not where you begin. We want to see improvement. That’s what our focus is going to be,” Fickell said. “But you have to move on.” “You still (have) to spend time on Colorado,” Fickell added. “We need to make sure we focus on what we’re doing, tackling on defense, ball security on offense.” Fickell said moving on involves holding every player accountable for his play, regardless of the player’s tenure with the team. “No excuses, whether they’re young or they’re old,” Fickell said. “We have such an incredibly high standard for those guys.” Simon echoed his coach’s feelings. “We’re not going to make excuses for ourselves. Miami came to play and got the job done. But our objective this week is Colorado,” Simon said. “We’re up to the challenge. Like I said, guys are in there this morning breaking down film, game planning, so we’re ready to go.” read more

Chelsea set £50m asking price for Courtois

first_imgChelsea have reportedly set an asking price in the region of £50m for goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois amid interest from Real Madrid, claims the Daily MailThe Belgium international had previously spent three successful loan seasons at Atletico Madrid and has never hidden his desire to return to the Spanish capital in the future due to his young children currently residing there.Courtois is now entering the final 12 months of his contract at Stamford Bridge and Chelsea are now considering whether to sell him now or receive nothing next summer.The 26-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Real since the beginning of the year with the European champions looking for an upgrade on Keylor Navas.Tammy Abraham, ChelseaChelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.“I have a certain preference, I already have ideas in my head, but I have moved everything until after the World Cup,” Courtois said recently.“My children are the most important thing for me: I now have one and a half years less contact with Chelsea, FaceTime is beautiful, but seeing them grow up is something else, so my children will play an important role in my decision.”Chelsea have since been linked with moves for Stoke City goalkeeper Jack Butland and AS Roma’s Alisson, who has also been linked with a move to Real this summer.last_img read more

Andreas Christensen admits Chelsea future is uncertain

first_imgChelsea defender Andreas Christensen concedes that things aren’t looking good for him after slipping down the pecking order at the clubThe Denmark international is yet to make a single appearance in any of Chelsea’s opening eight Premier League games this season under new coach Maurizio Sarri.The Italian has started Christensen in Chelsea’s Europa League and Carabao Cup games, but the 22-year-old admits that his patience could be tested further down the line.“Right now, it’s not a good season for me, but I have to find some way to get back on. How? I do not know, but it’s up to me to figure that out,” Christensen told BT.“But right now it looks hard. We have good results and we play super football, which only makes it harder. It’s hard for me personally, but for the team, it looks great.”Christensen had to wait for a chance in his two-year loan spell with Bundesliga side Borussia Monchengladbach and has been touted for another loan move in January.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.He added: “I cannot show so much patience again. I’m 22 years old and I really want to play.“In the last three seasons I’ve played a big role for the teams I have been with, so it’s clear that I cannot see myself staying if my current situation continues in the future.“It’s too early to talk about change for now, and when that might happen, but it’s clear that this is not a good situation for me.”Christensen had a breakthrough campaign under former coach Antonio Conte last season at Chelsea and made 40 appearances in all competitions.The Dane was awarded the Blues’ Young Player of the Year award.last_img read more