Tonight, partly cloudy with lows around 30.High pressure will provide for a mainly sunny Sunday, although still cool with highs in the lower-50’s.A warm front will bring a return for rain late Sunday night into the day on Monday. Monday will again be mostly cloudy with showers likely. Highs in the low-50’s.Another cold front passing by Monday in Tuesday may bring a few wet snowflakes to the area early Tuesday morning, while some models keep it as just rain. Otherwise mostly cloudy skies on Tuesday with highs in the upper-40’s.The rest of the week looks dry, although the cooler weather looks to stick around with highs the remainder of the week in the lower-50’s.WNYNewsNow is a proud Ambassador for the NOAA Weather-Ready Nation program.Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) JAMESTOWN – Yesterday was unseasonably warm with highs in the upper-70’s, a cold front moved through last night that is ushering in cooler weather for the weekend.For Today, a few early morning showers or a thunderstorm are possible, otherwise the day will be rather cloudy. Highs in the upper-40’s.
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Denver Post:Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, increasingly under pressure from its members and renewable energy advocates for its reliance on coal, plans to close two of its coal-fired power plants and a coal mine in Colorado and New Mexico.Tri-State said Thursday it will close the Escalante Station in northwest New Mexico by the end of this year. It intends to close its operations at the Craig Station plant in Craig and at the Colowyo Mine in northwest Colorado by 2030.The earlier-than-planned closures are part of the utility’s larger Responsible Energy Plan, Tri-State CEO Duane Highley said during a call with reporters. He said Tri-State will release details Jan. 15 about adding more renewable energy to its system and meeting state goals for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.Last year, the Westminster-based wholesale power provider shut down its Nucla coal plant in western Colorado, ahead of plans to close it in 2022. It previously had said it will close one unit of the Craig plant by the end of 2025.Thursday’s announcement applies to the remaining two units at the Craig facilities owned by Tri-State, a not-for-profit cooperative that serves a total of 43 electric associations in Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Nebraska.The original closing dates for the plants were: Craig Unit 2, 2038; Craig Unit 3, 2044; and Escalante, 2045.[Judith Kohler]More: Under fire for use of coal, Tri-State to accelerate closure of plants, mine in Colorado and New Mexico Tri-State to close Escalante coal plant in New Mexico in 2020, 25 years early
Gorges State Park is one of the steepest in the South. Located along the Blue Ridge Escarpment—the “Blue Wall”—near the North Carolina-South Carolina border, the park is home to sheer cliffs and spectacular waterfalls, including Whitewater Falls, the largest east of the Rockies. It’s already a celebrated oasis for hikers, trail runners, and paddlers. It could soon be a mountain biking mecca, too.Gorges State Park is one of nine finalists for the $100,000 Bell Built Grant to fund a gravity downhill mountain bike trail. Brevard mountain biker Park Baker has helped spearhead the effort.The grant is only available for a black diamond or double black diamond trail and will feature jumps, rollers and berms. The trail will potentially have alternate lines to help new and experienced riders learn and progress.Other regional finalists are located in Knoxville, Tenn., and Anniston, Ala. Mountain bikers will help choose the winner during a two weeks of online voting that begins May 11.Read more about the potential gravity trail in Gorges here.
June 15, 2006 Regular News There is a great deal of information that practitioners can and should have at their fingertips to make their marketing efforts more effective and productive. All solo and small firm practitioners should gather and track the following information: • A master list of current and former clients. • A list of all clients sorted by particular industries or practice areas. • A list of potential clients you have identified or you are aware have been referred but not yet hired you. • A “Friends of the Firm” list of referral sources. • The information for each person in your database should include: • Name, address, phone, fax, e-mail; • All contact names associated with the client-including family and/or employees; • Name of primary contact with your firm and any other staff person who worked on the client; • Date client started with the firm; • Type of work done for the client; • Why the client came to the firm or how heard about the firm; • Total amount paid by the client. Periodically review and use the information to better target your marketing efforts. Practice Tips is a service of the Practice Management Advisors Committee of the ABA Law Practice Management Section. It is not intended as legal advice, nor is it an authorized legal ethics opinion binding on any state bar or law society. For additional information about PMA services in Florida contact The Florida Bar’s Law Office Management Assistance Service (LOMAS) at (866) 730-2020. Tracking clients: Data necessary for success Tracking clients: Data necessary for success
A former employee of the $65 million Allentown Federal Credit Union was indicted last month for allegedly stealing more than $640,000 from member accounts through fake fees and wire transfers.Federal prosecutors charged Julie Ann Turk, 46, of Washington Township, Pa., with bank fraud, embezzlement and money laundering.According to the indictment, Turk held several positions, including teller, Master Card coordinator, teller supervisor and general ledger coordinator, at the Pennsylvania credit union, which gave her access to AFCU’s general ledger accounts and member accounts.From January 2009 to April 2016, Turk allegedly created fraudulent credit union fees, debited the fake fees from AFCU’s general ledger account and credited the phony fees to her personal credit union account, prosecutors alleged. 9SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »
September 23, 2019 Press Release, Public Safety, Statement Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf is urging the House Judiciary Committee to consider gun safety bills that are overwhelmingly supported by the public and focus on real measures that will keep guns from dangerous individuals and reduce gun violence.Governor Wolf’s statement:“Like many in the general public, I am disappointed to see the House Judiciary Committee refusing to bring commonsense gun safety bills up for a vote. There is virtual consensus in the public for enacting universal background checks. The extreme risk protection order is widely supported and documented to have saved lives in other states. There are many gun safety reforms in front of the House, yet none are scheduled for votes at tomorrow’s committee meeting.“We know these gun safety reforms can save lives. I urge the chairman to prioritize gun safety action demanded by the vast majority of Pennsylvanians, including many victims of gun violence and even more citizens seeking to hinder their own victimization.“In April, Rabbi Cheryl Klein, whose congregation was attacked inside the Tree of Life, prayed that ‘we are not guilty of inaction’ and urged advancements to protect people’s lives. I am reiterating that call. As we approach the one-year anniversary of the Tree of Life shooting at the end of October, we cannot fail to meet this moment. We must make the meaningful changes that we know will save lives in the future. We owe every victim of gun violence more and we can do better.” Governor Wolf Urges House Committee to Consider Gun Safety Bills SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
High School -Boys Tennis vs Franklin County – NOW Monday, 9/16 at Franklin County – 4:30 pm startBoys Soccer at Roncalli (Saturday, 2/28) – Start times now JV 1:00 PM and Varsity 2:45 pm* * Volleyball at Rushville – No date set yet. * *Middle School –7th & 8th Football at South Dearborn now Thursday, 9/17 – 7th grade starts at 5:30 pmVolleyball at Seymour Invitational NOW on Saturday, September 28th (moved from 9/21)
In an email sent Wednesday night, Holland America said it had received approval from a health system in Fort Lauderdale to treat fewer than 10 people “who need immediate critical care.”Meanwhile, it’s awaiting confirmation to disembark passengers and “get the nearly 1,200 well guests home immediately,” as long as they are fit for travel in accordance with guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.“Guests fit for travel per the CDC would transfer straight from the ship to flights for onward travel home, the majority on charter flights,” the statement said. “Out of an abundance of caution, these guests will be transported in coaches that will be sanitized, with limited person-to-person contact and while wearing masks.”The company said the provisions “well exceed what the CDC have advised is necessary for their travel,” during the coronavirus pandemic, adding that guests have not left the ship since March 14 and have self-isolated in their staterooms since March 22.President Donald Trump suggested that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis agreed to the plan after they spoke on Wednesday.“You have people that are sick on those ships, and states don’t want to take (them). They have enough problems right now,” Trump said at his evening news conference.“But we have to help the people. They’re — they’re in big trouble no matter where — no matter where they’re from. Happen to be Americans — largely Americans. But whether they were or not — I mean, they’re dying. So we have to do something. … and the governor knows that, too.”The cruise line said in the statement that about 45 guests who still have mild illness and are unfit to travel at this time will continue to isolate on board until recovered. They would be allowed to leave only after they have recovered and are in alignment with CDC guidelines for being fit to travel.The statement said that since March 22, 97 guests and 136 crew members have reported influenza-like symptoms. There are 808 guests and 583 crew on Rotterdam, and 442 guests and 603 crew on the Zaandam. Four children under the age of 12 are among the passengers, the statement said.The passengers who are healthy need to get off the ships, and the rest need to be treated urgently, Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Thursday. “You have to take care of the people who are ill. You just have an obligation to do that. And as quickly as possible,” Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease official, said on “CBS This Morning.”For most people, the virus causes symptoms including a fever, cough and body aches that clear up in two to three weeks without hospitalization But for some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness including pneumonia, in which case respirators may be necessary for survival.The Zaandam set sail from Buenos Aires on March 7 and was originally scheduled to end at San Antonio, Chile on March 21. The cruise was stranded off the coast of Panama after it was not allowed to dock in Chile and other ports along its path. FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Two sick cruise ships with four dead on board are closer to docking a Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale Thursday after Carnival Cruise Line reached a conditional agreement with authorities in Florida.Broward County Commissioner Michael Udine said on Twitter that a final document would be released Thursday morning.Unified Command conferenced last night and reached cond. approval of Carnival’s Plan, subject to approval between Broward and Carnival. Final document will be released this morning. As of now, ships remain outside US Waters. Look forward to seeing a SAFE plan for all to resolve— Michael Udine (@Michaeludine) April 2, 2020
In so doing, the judges sided with U.S. Democratic Rep. Geraldine Thompson.She previously said that Francis could not serve on the Florida Supreme Court since she had not been a member of the Florida Bar for at least 10 years, as the state’s constitution requires.Nonetheless, Francis will retain her position, as the court added, “There is no legal justification for us to require a replacement appointment from a new list of candidates, rather than from the one that is already before the governor.”Francis will reach her 10-year anniversary since being admitted to the Florida Bar on Sept. 24 of this year. She will take the bench in Tallahassee at that point.DeSantis appointed Francis last May to fill one of two spots that were vacated by Justices Barbara Lagoa and Robert Luck, both of whom were elevated to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. A newly appointed judge on the state’s high court from our area will get to keep her seat, even though she should not have been selected earlier this year.That was the decision of the Florida Supreme Court on Thursday, according to our news partner, WPTV NewsChannel 5.In a unanimous 5-0 ruling, the court ruled that Gov. Ron DeSantis had no right to appoint former Palm Beach County Judge Renatha Francis to the state’s Supreme Court when she was ineligible.“The governor did exceed his authority in making this appointment,” the justices stated in the ruling.They went on to say, “In a nutshell, when a governor fills by appointment a vacant judicial office, the appointee must by constitutionally eligible for that office at the time of the appointment.”In case you missed it, I was pleased to announce Florida’s next Supreme Court Justices … John Couriel, the son of Cuban exiles, and Judge Renatha Francis, the first Jamaican-American to be named to our state’s highest court. pic.twitter.com/g2FaFbZM18— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) May 27, 2020
Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 ELLSWORTH — As he knelt near the visiting bench inside a roaring Katsiaficas Gymnasium, Justin Norwood couldn’t have asked for the fourth quarter to come at a better time.Moments earlier, Norwood had watched from the sidelines as what seemed to be a commanding 17-point lead for his MDI boys’ basketball team wilted away. A barrage of 3-pointers and transition baskets had brought the host Ellsworth Eagles within two possessions and left the visiting Trojans needing to regroup.Rather than giving a fiery speech, Norwood gave his team a chance to breathe after the final seconds ticked off the clock to end the third quarter. Although the game was suddenly much tighter than it had been, MDI’s head coach of 11 years was confident his team could turn the game back around on its own.“It was just a matter of us calming down,” Norwood said. “Momentum is a funny thing in basketball because you never know when it’s going to take hold, and we knew we could get it right back if we got back to our game and settled.”This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textAlthough the home team made it hard on them, the Trojans did exactly as their head coach knew they could. With quality shooting and stifling defense, the Trojans quickly alleviated any fears of a collapse at the hands of the rival Eagles.MDI used a late burst in the fourth quarter last Wednesday to achieve a 70-55 road win against Ellsworth. The win gave the Trojans a victorious start to a stretch that will include four straight road games and marked their third straight win in the rivalry.Ellsworth’s Jackson Curtis brings the ball up the floor as MDI’s Derek Collin defends during the first half of a high school boys’ basketball game on Jan. 10 in Ellsworth. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLMDI raced out to a 5-0 lead to start the game, but Ellsworth closed he gap right away with a pair of 3-pointers from Dylan Taplin to pull within a point at the 1:13 mark. A Colby Lee 3-pointer gave the Trojans an edge on the next possession, and the Trojans ended the quarter leading 16-8 following a pair of free throws and a layup as time expired.The Trojans continued their offensive onslaught in the second quarter despite early foul trouble for two of their top scorers, Andrew Phelps and Derek Collin. The Eagles kept MDI from pulling away much further with seven points from Zach Harris, but the visitors still took a 31-21 lead into halftime.After MDI (7-1) scored on the opening possession of the second half, Ellsworth used a Harris 3-pointer and Jackson Curtis layup to pull within seven points. Yet the Trojans responded with a 10-0 run capped off by back-to-back baskets and a free throw from Colby Lee to take a 43-26 lead with 5:03 remaining in the third quarter.MDI’s Colby Lee (left) and Andrew Phelps (right) chase down a loose ball against Ellsworth’s Dylan Taplin (middle) during the second half of a high school boys’ basketball game Jan. 10 in Ellsworth. MDI scored 24 points in the fourth quarter. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLEllsworth, though, was far from finished. The Eagles (4-5) used a 3-point barrage to fight back and pulled to within 10 points with 1:38 left in the third before narrowing the gap to 49-44 entering the final quarter.“They broke our press a few times and were able to score because of that,” Norwood said. “We’re not used to giving up layups on our press, and when Ellsworth was able to do that, it got to us a little bit.”With both fan bases on their feet, Ellsworth cut the deficit to 49-46 before an Owen Mild three-point play gave the Trojans some breathing room. From there, a clutch 3-pointer and mid-range jump shot from James Continued from Page 6McConomy gave the MDI the momentum it needed to close out the Eagles.“I don’t think he ever believes he’s going to miss,” Norwood said. “They say great shooters always think the next shot is going in, and James definitely fits that mold.”Phelps and Lee tied with a team-high 14 points for MDI, and Collin and McConomy added 12 each. Drew Shea scored nine for the Trojans, and Mild, Eli Parady, Steven Pierce and Brett Duley combined for the remaining nine. Pierce’s two points were his first at the varsity level.Harris led Ellsworth with 15 points, 12 of which came on 3-pointers, and Darby Barry scored nine. Taplin and Sam Giffin had eight apiece for the Eagles, and Curtis, Connor Crawford, Jared Hamilton, Brad Smith and Andrew McCullough accounted for the rest of the team’s scoring.Ellsworth has a chance to get back on track when it battles Belfast (4-5) at 12:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 15. MDI is scheduled to face Orono (3-5) at 6:30 p.m. that day before playing road games against John Bapst (2-6) and Hermon (8-0) later in the week.Before the season, Norwood cited Hermon as the best team in Class B. Beating the undefeated Hawks on the road, he said, will take one of the best efforts the team has produced all year.“They’re experienced, and they can beat you in multiple ways,” Norwood said of the undefeated Hawks. “It’s going to be a big test of how far we’ve come and where we need to improve as we get closer to the playoffs.” Latest Posts Bio Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at email@example.com. MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020