Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has instructed his aides to assess the impact of the new coronavirus on the country’s economy, particularly on trade with China, following Indonesia’s move to impose a ban on travel and live animal imports from the East Asian country.“Please carefully calculate the impact of this policy on our economy,” Jokowi said as he opened a limited Cabinet meeting in Bogor Palace, West Java, on Tuesday.The government ban on all travel to and from China took effect on Monday. It is intended to prevent the spread of a deadly and highly contagious novel coronavirus. “The travel and import restrictions were necessary to protect all Indonesian nationals from the spread of the coronavirus,” Jokowi said.Indonesia’s moves were met with disappointment from the Chinese government.“The decision to impose a travel ban and import restrictions will be detrimental to our trade relations,” Chinese Ambassador to Indonesia Xiao Qian said. “Don’t overreact and cause a negative impact on investment and the economy.” (eyc) Topics : The ban prevents visitors who have stayed in China for 14 days or more from visiting or transiting in Indonesia. The government will suspend visa-free and visa on arrival provisions for Chinese citizens.The government has also announced a temporary ban on live animal imports from China. Trade Minister Agus Suparmanto said the measure would be put in place on Tuesday and would remain in place until the virus was contained.Indonesia imported US$44.5 billion of non-oil and gas products from China in 2019, representing almost 30 percent of such imports into Indonesia overall. Meanwhile, 1.9 million Chinese tourists visited Indonesia from January to November 2019, representing nearly 13 percent of overall foreign tourist visits, Statistics Indonesia data shows.Jokowi said the import restrictions could provide a chance for domestic industries to produce import-substituting goods and to export more products to other countries that used to import such products from China.
“We will keep coordinating with AirNav Indonesia, as well as stakeholders in the aviation sector to ensure that flights remain safe and normal,” Novie said.Volcanic ash from the eruption covered parts of the airport’s runway and apron, AirNav Indonesia spokesperson Yohanes Sirait said.At least six flights have been cancelled so far, he added.The volcano previously erupted on Feb. 13, spewing a 2,000-meter-high ash column.Mount Merapi is one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia. An eruption in 2010 left more than 300 people dead and forced almost 400,000 people to take refuge.Authorities have raised Merapi’s alert level to waspada (caution), the second-highest level in the country’s four-tiered alert system. (rfa) Adi Soemarmo International Airport in Surakarta, Central Java, has been temporarily closed following the eruption of Mount Merapi, an official said on Tuesday.The volcano erupted in the early hours of Tuesday, spewing a 6,000-meter column of ash, according to the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG).State-owned air navigation firm AirNav Indonesia has since issued a warning on the latest volcanic activity to pilots passing through the affected areas. The Transportation Ministry’s air transportation director general, Novie Riyanto, said in a statement that the ministry would continue to monitor the activity of Mount Merapi to ensure aviation safety.“We will keep observing the latest developments. As for the impact on aviation, so far only [Adi Soemarmo International Airport] in Surakarta is affected; it has since been closed down for the time being. We have re-routed several flights to regions that have yet to be affected by the eruption,” Novie said in a statement on Tuesday.Adi Soemarmo International Airport will remain closed until 3:30 p.m., the ministry said.According to the warning issued by AirNav Indonesia, the latest eruption had a maximum amplitude of 75 mm and a duration of 450 seconds. Editor’s note: This article has been updated with the latest updates from the Transportation Ministry and AirNav Indonesia.Topics :
Facebook Topics : energy-and-mineral-resources-ministry pertamina Bontang-LNG-Plant oil-refinery Kuala-Tanjung Kalimantan sumatra Linkedin Log in with your social account Forgot Password ? Google Indonesia’s top oil company is looking to relocate a US$13.9 billion project over 2,000 kilometers away due to prolonged land acquisition problems at the original site.State-owned oil company Pertamina is conducting a study into moving its oil refinery and petrochemical plant project from Bontang city in East Kalimantan to Kuala Tanjung in North Sumatra. The plan follows the expiration of an agreement between Pertamina and Omani energy firm Overseas Oil and Gas LLC (OOG) to develop the facility in Bontang, where the enterprises face land acquisition problems. The one-year deal between the two enterprises ended December last year.Read also: Low oil prices push Pertamina’s 2019 profit down 16% to $2.1b“[Pertamina put Kuala Tanjung on the table because] it is closer to the market and the land is available,” Pertamina investment and risk management … LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here
Read also: COVID-19: West Java distributes cash, food to Greater Bandung residents prior to PSBBWest Java Governor Ridwan Kamil has asked 27 regents and mayors in West Java, including those who have not requested PSBB implementation, to expand COVID-19 rapid testing.Berli said the administration had distributed 93,000 rapid testing kits throughout the province and that his agency had received 71,000 test results, 1,664 of which were positive for COVID-19.He said that those who had tested positive later underwent the more accurate, though slower, polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, which resulted in 397 confirmed cases of COVID-19.“We have submitted the data to the Health Ministry and the number has been included in the national case report,” said Berli.West Java COVID-19 task force secretary Daud Achmad said he strongly agreed with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s decision to ban the Idul Fitri mudik (exodus) prior to Ramadan.“We have appealed to the public not to go home, not to go on holiday,” said Daud. “Hopefully, the ban can suppress and eventually cut off the spread of COVID-19.”The West Java Transportation Agency reported that about 253,000 people had already returned to their hometowns in the province, based on data on arrivals registered at airports, seaports, train stations and bus terminals.Last year, the agency recorded 3.6 million people entering West Java in the weeks before Idul Fitri. (syk) Berli said the PSBB policy would be evaluated on a daily basis.West Java is the nation’s second-hardest-hit province – behind Jakarta – with a total of 762 confirmed cases, or about 10 percent of the country’s official count of 7,418 as of Wednesday.Berli called on people in West Java to follow social restrictions in an orderly fashion.“We must be disciplined in maintaining distance and avoiding crowds. Gatherings that are usually carried out during Ramadan should be limited, and we should remain at home,” said Berli. Topics : The West Java health agency has said that the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the province will continue to rise even as cities and regencies in the province begin implementing large-scale social restrictions (PSBB).“In accordance with our initial prediction and with the efforts that have been made, we will see the peak occur between April 22 and May 29,” agency head Berli Hamdani said on Tuesday.The Health Ministry approved requests from the Bogor and Depok administrations on April 11 to implement PSBB in the areas, and the restrictions were officially enacted on April 15. The Greater Bandung region enacted PSBB on Wednesday.
Nervous residents of China’s pandemic epicenter of Wuhan queued up across the city to be tested for the novel coronavirus on Thursday after a new cluster of cases sparked a mass screening campaign.Lines of residents keeping their social distance formed at makeshift testing sites set up under tents in parking lots, parks and residential communities as rain trickled down in the metropolis of 11 million people.”This is a good thing. It’s a way to be responsible towards others and to yourself,” a 40-year-old man told AFP after completing the process. The quarantine was only fully lifted in early April, and life is slowly returning to normal.But Wuhan was given a fresh jolt when several new local infections emerged last weekend after more than a month in which none were reported.Fearful of a reliving the virus nightmare, officials have launched a drive to conduct nucleic acid tests on the city’s entire population.Men, women, children and the elderly filed forward to medical workers in head-to-toe white protective suits and plastic face shields, who recorded their personal details before quickly jabbing a swab into the backs of their throats. The man had already been tested 10 days before, but given Wuhan’s history as the source of the virus and China’s worst-hit city he welcomed a little extra assurance. “If you have the opportunity, wouldn’t you do it again?” he asked.The previously unknown contagion emerged in Wuhan in late 2019, prompting the Chinese government to impose a tight lockdown on the city on January 23, isolating the industrial and transport center from the rest of the country and confining residents to their homes.According to government figures more than 3,800 people have died from COVID-19 in the city, accounting for the vast majority of fatalities in China. Topics : On edge Some remained anxious.”I know this plan requiring the city to do large-scale testing serves as a basic safeguard. I wasn’t planning to get myself tested,” said a woman who did not give her name.”But the safety measures inside are really bad. [People] are too close and the testing person handled a lot of samples from people but I didn’t see him wash his hands.”China has largely brought the novel coronavirus under control, but has been on edge recently about a potential second wave of infections as it has lifted lockdowns and restrictions across the country.Besides the six new Wuhan cases, virus clusters have appeared in recent weeks in the northeastern provinces of Jilin and Heilongjiang, which border Russia.President Xi Jinping told a Communist Party leadership meeting on Thursday that containment measures must be stepped up in Jilin, Heilongjiang and Wuhan “to forestall resurgence of infections”, according to the official Xinhua news agency.”We must never allow our hard-earned previous achievements on epidemic control to be made in vain,” Xi said.With the virus taking hold in other nations, China has barred most foreigners from entering the country.Despite the lingering concerns, pandemic-hardened residents of Wuhan have done their best to resume their lives.Dozens of people kicked up their heels to Chinese folk music on a promenade by the Yangtze River on Wednesday night, shrugging off the concerns of a new wave.Couples wearing masks pranced under street lamps, with the men leading the women into turns near a bridge lit with huge Chinese characters saying: “Go Wuhan”.”I’m very happy [to be dancing outside],” said Qiu Jumei, a 53-year-old hotel waitress.”The atmosphere wasn’t the same when I was at home and dancing alone. It was not fun,” she added. “This is much better.”
The Jewish state has carried out hundreds of strikes targeting regime and Iranian-backed forces, notably in Deir Ezzor.The Israeli military rarely claims responsibility for such attacks but has vowed to prevent Iran gaining a foothold in the war-torn country or delivering advanced weaponry to Lebanese armed group Hezbollah.Iranian and Iraqi armed groups backing the regime of Bashar Al-Assad have deployed across swathes of Deir Ezzor, a large desert province bordering on Iraq. The Observatory said the latest strikes came after Afghan forces brought in reinforcements from near the Iraqi border to a large Iranian base near the town of Al-Mayadin on the Euphrates river.Two waves of similar strikes in May killed 12 pro-Iranian fighters, according to the Observatory.Syria’s complex, almost decade-long war has killed over 380,000 people, devastated the country’s infrastructure and forced millions of people to flee their homes.Topics : At least 12 pro-Iranian fighters died in strikes by unidentified aircraft on eastern Syria late Saturday evening, a war monitor said. “Eight air strikes before midnight on Saturday night targeted a base of pro-Iranian forces in rural eastern Deir Ezzor [province], killing 12 Iraqi and Afghan fighters and destroying equipment and ammunition,” the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.The Observatory did not identify the aircraft responsible, but its head Rami Abdul Rahman told AFP that Israel was likely responsible.
“Both sides agreed to peacefully resolve the situation in the border areas in accordance with various bilateral agreements,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.The ministry added that the commanders agreed an “early resolution” was “essential” for bilateral relations between the world’s two most-populous nations.”Accordingly, the two sides will continue the military and diplomatic engagements to resolve the situation and to ensure peace and tranquility in the border areas,” the statement said.There have been numerous face-offs and brawls between Chinese and Indian soldiers at the frontier, but they have become more frequent in recent years. India and China have agreed to “peacefully resolve” a latest border flare-up that has heightened tensions between the nuclear-armed neighbors, New Delhi said Sunday, after a high-level meeting between army commanders.Tensions have flared in recent weeks between the two regional powers over their 3,500-kilometer frontier, which has never been properly demarcated.Thousands of troops from both countries are involved in the face-off concentrated in India’s Ladakh region, just opposite Tibet. On May 9, several Indian and Chinese soldiers were injured in a high-altitude cross-border clash involving fists and stone-throwing in Sikkim state.Indian officials said that within days, Chinese troops encroached over the demarcation line in the Ladakh region, further to the west.India moved extra troops to positions opposite.The talks, which took place in the Chushul-Moldo region between the two commanders, is believed to be the highest-level meeting since the Sikkim exchange.India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping have sought to ease the tensions at summits over the past two years when they agreed to boost border communications between their militaries. Topics :
But while the number of new daily cases has not reached such highs since, Surabaya has still recorded an average of around 100 new cases per day over the past two weeks.Read also: As COVID-19 transmission rate soars, Surabaya urged to restore restrictionsEpidemiologist Windhu Purnomo from Airlangga University’s School of Public Health conveyed his skepticism over Risma’s claims, saying the mayor had only accounted for the number of confirmed cases recorded among registered Surabaya residents.“I think [Risma’s statement] is incorrect, because the trend has shown no signs of declining anytime soon,” Windhu told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.He explained that other indicators of the outbreak – such as the fatality rate, reproduction rate (Rt) and attack rate – all showed the city was a high-risk zone, and that Surabaya residents remained highly vulnerable to infection, contrary to the mayor’s claim.According to Windhu, Surabaya’s fatality rate currently stood at 7.8 percent, far higher than the national average of 5.6 percent, while the attack rate of COVID-19 in the region is 160, meaning that 160 in every 100,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19.He said the city’s Rt had fallen to 0.8 on June 17, which meant that one person infected with COVID-19 would spread the disease to less than one other person. If this Rt had been maintained, the outbreak in the city would have petered out, but it has since risen to above 1 again.“It seemed to be the light at the end of the tunnel – if only we could have been more patient,” Windhu said.He urged the Surabaya administration to issue and enforce stringent regulations to control people’s movements in a bid to break the chain of infection, saying it had been far too early to lift the PSBB measures.Read also: Surabaya mayor feuds with East Java governor over mobile PCR labsRisma, however, seemed to indicate that she would not reimpose citywide restrictions, saying only that she would shut down individual traditional markets, shopping malls, or restaurants if visitors or vendors tested positive for COVID-19.She added that instead of locking down entire villages to conduct tests on the population, the administration would now carry out tests on certain communities that were deemed most vulnerable to COVID-19 transmission, she said.“For instance, we have conducted mass testing on vendors and at restaurants around hospitals,” Risma added.She said the administration had also reopened a number of public spaces considered crucial to the local economy, with new health protocols in place to minimize the risk of virus transmission.As of Tuesday, Surabaya had recorded 4,771 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 359 deaths, while East Java has reported 10,115 cases and 741 deaths.Topics : Surabaya, the capital of East Java, continues to defy calls to reinstate large-scale restrictions (PSBB), which were officially lifted earlier this month, despite the continued increase in confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city.Home to some 2.8 million people, Indonesia’s second largest city accounts for nearly half of East Java’s more than 10,000 confirmed cases, emerging as a new epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak following a surge of new cases starting from the end of last month.Despite the steady rise in cases, Surabaya and its satellites cities of Sidoarjo and Gresik, decided to lift their PSBB measures on June 8. Instead, the local administration has shifted its focus to reopening a number of sectors to keep the economy afloat, insisting that the latest numbers reflected a “downward trend” in the number of coronavirus cases recorded in the region.“If we examine [the numbers], there has been a downward trend. Before, we used to [record] 200, 300 [new cases per day], but now it has gone down,” Surabaya Mayor Tri Rismaharini said during an online discussion held by the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) on Tuesday.The city recorded its highest one-day spike in new confirmed cases on May 21, when it recorded 311 new cases, followed by a similar surge on May 23, with 310 new cases.