Cutting one’s coat to suit

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Jokowi asks aides to assess coronavirus impact on economy, Indonesia-China trade

first_imgPresident Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has instructed his aides to assess the impact of the new coronavirus on the country’s economy, particularly on trade with China, following Indonesia’s move to impose a ban on travel and live animal imports from the East Asian country.“Please carefully calculate the impact of this policy on our economy,” Jokowi said as he opened a limited Cabinet meeting in Bogor Palace, West Java, on Tuesday.The government ban on all travel to and from China took effect on Monday. It is intended to prevent the spread of a deadly and highly contagious novel coronavirus. “The travel and import restrictions were necessary to protect all Indonesian nationals from the spread of the coronavirus,” Jokowi said.Indonesia’s moves were met with disappointment from the Chinese government.“The decision to impose a travel ban and import restrictions will be detrimental to our trade relations,” Chinese Ambassador to Indonesia Xiao Qian said. “Don’t overreact and cause a negative impact on investment and the economy.” (eyc) Topics :center_img The ban prevents visitors who have stayed in China for 14 days or more from visiting or transiting in Indonesia. The government will suspend visa-free and visa on arrival provisions for Chinese citizens.The government has also announced a temporary ban on live animal imports from China. Trade Minister Agus Suparmanto said the measure would be put in place on Tuesday and would remain in place until the virus was contained.Indonesia imported US$44.5 billion of non-oil and gas products from China in 2019, representing almost 30 percent of such imports into Indonesia overall. Meanwhile, 1.9 million Chinese tourists visited Indonesia from January to November 2019, representing nearly 13 percent of overall foreign tourist visits, Statistics Indonesia data shows.Jokowi said the import restrictions could provide a chance for domestic industries to produce import-substituting goods and to export more products to other countries that used to import such products from China.  last_img read more

Surakarta airport closes temporarily after Mt. Merapi spews out ash 6,000 meters high

first_img“We will keep coordinating with AirNav Indonesia, as well as stakeholders in the aviation sector to ensure that flights remain safe and normal,” Novie said.Volcanic ash from the eruption covered parts of the airport’s runway and apron, AirNav Indonesia spokesperson Yohanes Sirait said.At least six flights have been cancelled so far, he added.The volcano previously erupted on Feb. 13, spewing a 2,000-meter-high ash column.Mount Merapi is one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia. An eruption in 2010 left more than 300 people dead and forced almost 400,000 people to take refuge.Authorities have raised Merapi’s alert level to waspada (caution), the second-highest level in the country’s four-tiered alert system. (rfa) Adi Soemarmo International Airport in Surakarta, Central Java, has been temporarily closed following the eruption of Mount Merapi, an official said on Tuesday.The volcano erupted in the early hours of Tuesday, spewing a 6,000-meter column of ash, according to the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG).State-owned air navigation firm AirNav Indonesia has since issued a warning on the latest volcanic activity to pilots passing through the affected areas. The Transportation Ministry’s air transportation director general, Novie Riyanto, said in a statement that the ministry would continue to monitor the activity of Mount Merapi to ensure aviation safety.“We will keep observing the latest developments. As for the impact on aviation, so far only [Adi Soemarmo International Airport] in Surakarta is affected; it has since been closed down for the time being. We have re-routed several flights to regions that have yet to be affected by the eruption,” Novie said in a statement on Tuesday.Adi Soemarmo International Airport will remain closed until 3:30 p.m., the ministry said.According to the warning issued by AirNav Indonesia, the latest eruption had a maximum amplitude of 75 mm and a duration of 450 seconds.center_img Editor’s note: This article has been updated with the latest updates from the Transportation Ministry and AirNav Indonesia.Topics :last_img read more

India, China seek to ‘peacefully resolve’ border face-off

first_img“Both sides agreed to peacefully resolve the situation in the border areas in accordance with various bilateral agreements,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.The ministry added that the commanders agreed an “early resolution” was “essential” for bilateral relations between the world’s two most-populous nations.”Accordingly, the two sides will continue the military and diplomatic engagements to resolve the situation and to ensure peace and tranquility in the border areas,” the statement said.There have been numerous face-offs and brawls between Chinese and Indian soldiers at the frontier, but they have become more frequent in recent years. India and China have agreed to “peacefully resolve” a latest border flare-up that has heightened tensions between the nuclear-armed neighbors, New Delhi said Sunday, after a high-level meeting between army commanders.Tensions have flared in recent weeks between the two regional powers over their 3,500-kilometer frontier, which has never been properly demarcated.Thousands of troops from both countries are involved in the face-off concentrated in India’s Ladakh region, just opposite Tibet. On May 9, several Indian and Chinese soldiers were injured in a high-altitude cross-border clash involving fists and stone-throwing in Sikkim state.Indian officials said that within days, Chinese troops encroached over the demarcation line in the Ladakh region, further to the west.India moved extra troops to positions opposite.The talks, which took place in the Chushul-Moldo region between the two commanders, is believed to be the highest-level meeting since the Sikkim exchange.India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping have sought to ease the tensions at summits over the past two years when they agreed to boost border communications between their militaries.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Two fishermen dead, one injured in shooting by unidentified assailants in Aceh waters

first_imgTwo North Sumatran fishermen were killed while another one was critically injured after being shot by unidentified assailants in the Sumeulue waters of Aceh last week.Sibolga water police unit head Adj. Comr. M. Sihombing said the shooters attacked two fishing boats identified as KM Tiur and KM Kasih Sayang, which belonged to the fishermen from North Sumatra’s Central Tapanuli regency, at around 3 a.m. on Friday.“The shooting happened when the two fishing boats heaved the anchors in Simeulue waters of Aceh. All of a sudden, the two fishing boats were shot by unidentified persons,” Sihombing told The Jakarta Post on Monday. KM Tiur crew member Putra, 30, and KM Kasih Sayang captain Aspuri, 33, died in the incident. Meanwhile, another victim identified as Irfan Nasution is receiving treatment at Adam Malik Hospital in Medan, North Sumatra.The other crew members of the boats escaped the shootings, Sihombing said, without detailing the number of survivors.“We will help the Aceh police investigate this shooting case. We have taken pictures of the shooting marks on the boats [as evidence],” he said, adding that the two fishing boats have docked at Sibolga Harbor in North Sumatra.The head of the Penjaring Salam fishermen community in Sibolga, Asrul Tanjung, demanded that security forces immediately arrest the perpetrators to find out the motives behind the fatal shootings.According to information Asrul obtained from several survivors and witnesses, the shooters came to attack on a large boat.“The shooters reportedly used a big boat with fish bomb gear on it. This kind of boat is now pervasively used by many [fishermen] and usually operate in Sinabang waters, Aceh,” he added. (trn)Topics :last_img read more

Cross-Manila conflict

first_imgON AUGUST 1 Philippine National Railways Assistant General Manager Rafael Jiminez called for the planned Manila – Calabarzon Express (MCX) commuter rail network and the Northrail link to Clark Air Base to be integrated to offer through services between north and south Luzon via central Manila. Developer Ayala Land Inc said in July that it was close to finalising a build-transfer-operate concession for the US$600m MCX project, under which it would transfer the infrastructure, buy the rolling stock and run the services (RG 5.97 p271). Phase 1 involves upgrading the PNR line from Kalookan to Calamba and building branches to Carmona and Canlubang. Services would be hauled by diesel locos.Jiminez is concerned that Bases Conversion Development Authority wants to build Northrail to standard gauge, whereas MCX will stick with 1067mm gauge for compatibility with the rest of PNR. Conversion of the PNR route out of Manila for Northrail would isolate disused lines in Northern Luzon for which the government is inviting reconstruction concessions. olast_img read more

Violence is the result of a breakdown in society

first_img Tweet LocalNews Violence is the result of a breakdown in society by: – April 24, 2012 Share 31 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img Sharing is caring! Share Simeon Joseph. Photo credit: Elias Dupuis. Featured speaker at a recent Symposium on Violence has asserted that violence is the result of a breakdown within the society.Simeon Joseph, a former principal of the Dominica Grammar School who is currently employed with the Ministry of Education, believes conducting “more studies, rallies and conferences without developing strategies that reach the level of young people involved in violence either as victim or as victimizer” is a futile venture. He proposed that “violence” should not be the “starting point” if we want to develop an effective way to deal with violence among young males” as violence is a “symptom of things that have gone wrong in the society”. Joseph highlighted several causes of violence resulting from poverty, greed, materialism, competition, aggression and individualism and ‘dreams deferred and snuffed out”.He also noted unfulfilled promises of politicians in “promising but not delivering to the poor” as one of the causes of violence.“Violence is a consequence of the rapid societal changes and homogeneous structure of an education system which is still engraved in models of pedagogy and which are designed to prepare the privileged few for a world that no longer exists, where we send out young people who are not functionally prepared for the positions available for them or into lower level of positions”.Joseph further explained that violence is also the result of attempting to attain the “unrealistic images of the lifestyles of the rich and the famous” as well as the “consequence of the breakdown in family structures” where parents migrate leaving their children with grandparents, relatives, older siblings or sometimes without care. He called on society to be mindful that these young men are the future leaders of the country and one of the ways to effect change among them would be to “begin by affirming them as youth”. According to him, members of society should “take the time to hold, cherish, mentor, walk with and affirm the goodness and necessity of belonging to others”.“We decry everything that youth find entertaining and stimulating but do we provide alternatives for our youth in our churches and our societies? Youth is a search for love that is beautiful and faithful, sustaining and nurturing but do we teach them to love humanely, affectively and un-conditionally,” he questioned.He concluded that I we must make the young males in society “our priority, our hope and our future” in order to lead them to a “more productive and abundant life”.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

AC Milan reject Tammy Abraham

first_imgRelatedPosts Ibrahimovic to stay at Milan for another season – Reports Abraham: Playing against Lewandowski great for me Pioli pens new AC Milan two-year deal AC Milan rejected the chance to sign Tammy Abraham from Chelsea this summer.TMW claimed the striker was in talks over a move to Serie A following his impressive showing on loan with Aston Villa last season.However, it was Milan management who turned down the deal, considering Abraham too inexperienced for the top level.He turns 22 next week and has this season scored seven goals in six Premier League games.Abraham also earned two senior caps for England.Tags: AC MilanTammy Abrahamlast_img

Miami Marlins baseball star Jose Fernandez dies in boat crash

first_imgJOSE` Fernandez, a pitcher for the Miami Marlins baseball team, has died in a boat crash at the age of 24.The US Coast Guard said Fernandez was one of three people killed in the crash yesterday, off Miami Beach, Florida.A scheduled Marlins home game against the Atlanta Braves on Sunday has been cancelled.The club said it was “devastated by the tragic loss of Jose Fernandez. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time”.Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Todd Garofalo told local news station WSVN: “They found a boat that was up against the jetties.They did do an initial search and they found three victims – two on top of the water, one underneath the boat and they had unfortunately passed away.”The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said the 32-foot vessel had a “severe impact” with large rocks that form part of the jetty.The names of the other two individuals are being withheld until their relatives can be informed, the Coast Guard said.Fernandez shared a picture on Instagram five days ago which appears to show his girlfriend Carla Mendoza pregnant.The caption reads: “I’m so glad you came into my life. I’m ready for where this journey is gonna take us together. #familyfirst.”Rick Scott, the governor of Florida, shared on Twitter a picture of he and Fernandez and wrote: “I had the opportunity to meet Jose Fernandez in 2014. Our prayers are with his family and the Miami Marlins.”Boston Red Sox pitcher David Price said: “Hands down one of my favourite guys to watch pitch! He brought nothing but intensity and passion.”The Major League Baseball organisation released a statement saying it was “stunned and devastated” by the news.Fernandez was the club’s first-round draft pick in 2011 and was finishing up on his finest season in the major league, the Miami Herald reported.He was born in Santa Clara in Cuba and attempted to defect to the US three times – once ending up in jail – before making it to Florida when he was 16. He made his debut for the Marlins in 2013.(BBC Sport)last_img